A well known Australian meal, roo stew can be done with a range of ingredients depending on what vegetables you have available. Kangaroo is very lean and can become tough quite easily, the long slow cook will make it tender and juicy.
A warm and hearty meal that is perfect with damper or on a bed of rice.
Cooking time: 2.5hrs | Feeds: 8 | Difficulty: medium | Spicy: none
- 500g kangaroo fillets
- 1 x cup plain flour
- 100g tomato paste
- 3 x potatoes
- 2 x carrots
- 2 x celery sticks
- 1 x brown onion
- 2 x garlic cloves
- 2ltr beef stock
- 3 x thyme sprigs
1. Prepare all vegetables and meat as above.
2. Place flour into a large bowl and season with salt and pepper, then lightly dust each piece of kangaroo.
6. Add your kangaroo meat and thyme sprigs to the sauce, then top up with remaining stock.
7. Cover with a lid, turn on very low heat and simmer gently for 1hr.
8. Add carrot, celery and potatoes to the sauce, add a little water if there isnt enough liquid to cover most veges.